Summary: The Director, Software Development is responsible for the delivery of digital products within a domain. Partnering closely with the Product General Manager, the Director, Software Development ensures development of high quality digital products through a tightly integrated process with close collaboration between Product and Technology resources.
Our client a highly success global technology enterprise that is experiencing a high growth period, is looking for someone who can lead one of their key flagship product. The candidate must be adapt at using technology to enable business strategy, build a sustainable organization, communicate at an executive level, negotiate with internal and external partners, is an idea innovator, can evaluate a business model, create and lead a business strategy, has the ability to deeply understand the details of how the business operates in order to shape business strategy direction for the product. The candidate must be a hands-on team player, strong multi-tasker and has an entrepreneurial approach and spirit, high energy and a CAN DO attitude!
The ideal candidate would be someone who started their careers as a technology software developer, managed software development team including software developers, QA, and project managers. Ideally we would prefer a candidate who scaled a small/start-up technology team to an agile highly performing team by participating, contributing, and partnering with product management, sales, and executive management.
Candidate must have absolutely exceptional communication skills including listening. Communication skills include presentations to internal and external clients, software development teams, Software Development Managers, Product Managers, and Executive team members.
- Partner with client Product Team General Manager to set direction and strategy for products to be developed within the market domain
- Bring software development and engineering expertise to bear on the conceptualization and planning of digital products for the disciplines
- Partner with the client team General Manager and staff on customer visits to obtain better understanding of requirements.
- In conjunction with the client product manager, develop and maintain product roadmaps for their domain. Work with the Platform Managers on mapping technical requirements into platform roadmaps
- Work with the Architecture team members to integrate the discipline’s product roadmaps with the overall technology roadmap
- Monitor and be knowledgeable about the outside digital solutions available in the related market areas
- Manage the Software Development Managers and balance them against the changing needs for the disciplines within the group
- Monitor the evolution of digital products in the market segments, providing strategic guidance to Software Development Managers and other team members
- Actively participate as a member of the client Product General Manager’s Leadership Team
- Communicate with and address needs and concerns of our client’s business partners and stakeholders across functional groups, within and outside of the Technology organization
- Establish overall priorities and work with Solutions Development Managers to facilitate project prioritization and use of resources within their domain
- Hands on lead responsibility for at least one of the team’s projects at all times (not just a leader, but a do-er too)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a field related to this job and has or working toward an MBA degree.
- Experience working with General Managers, Product Managers, Clients
- Experience managing Software Development Managers, Technical lead, Architects and the experience in setting business priorities
- Experience developing software products in a field within a skills based discipline, for example: computing, healthcare technologies, financial services, e-learning, ecommerce, etc.
- Previous team management experience
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate teams and develop team cohesiveness
- Proven track record of delivering successful business results through team leadership and teamwork
- Understanding of the structure of software systems and architectural interdependencies
- Experience in digital software definition and planning
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Strong, creative business problem solving skills
- Understanding of emerging technical capabilities and how to use them to solve problems