This position is responsible for full life cycle support and management of the business systems database environments on all platforms. This position is further accountable for coordinating all DBA (Database Administration) activities and staff.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- BS in related field or comparable business experience.
- Overview: This position requires both general IT Management background as well as experience managing database implementations. The manager must have a strong cross-platform management background; solid technology skills; problem-solving acumen; and the role-specific triad of subject area knowledge, people management, and communications skills.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE AND APTITUDES:
- Specific Skills:
- Communications: Strong writing, presentation and listening skills
- Database Operations: broad DBMS experience with hands-on DBA background;
- Knowledge of the tools, utilities, database access languages, and ancillary software required to support industry-standard database environments
- Database Design: deep knowledge of the physical database design parameters, tuning options, and need to tailor database instances to the processing requirements of the business systems (e.g. OLTP design considerations versus ODS, warehouse or “Big Data” implementations) they serve; understanding of logical data design integration and maintenance as well as the trade-offs required to meet business processing requirements
- Technology people management experience and aptitude
- Customer service soft skills and belief in the value of service level agreements
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Broad exposure and experience supporting and/or managing data integration technologies, analytics and reporting Advanced level experience with data management tools: productivity, design, performance and administration
- Database DR and/or Business Continuity background
- Strong fundamental skills in IT services (e.g. change, problem, incident management)
- Manages the database administration workload, assigns work to team members, and ensures the success of the team in their support of the database availability requirements
- Ensures all database best practices are documented, followed and maintained to evolving industry standards
- Supports the development teams in all aspects of the systems development life cycle by providing a motivated team of DBAs that delivers high-quality, timely services across all database life cycle environments; provides data management training opportunities to the supported teams and transitions database knowledge to assure the developer’s development
- Partners with other infrastructure teams to deliver integrated systems solutions, stable operating platforms, and sufficient resources to support business growth
- Evaluates, recommends and implements new database functionality, data management tools, and adjunct software in tandem with development teams, enterprise architects, and systems support organizations
- Builds a complete portfolio of well-documented policies and procedures that provide right-sized discipline to the evolving database technologies in place
- Supports all system security policies and methods and proactively ensures the appropriate access to sensitive information
- Participates in IT and general Management teams in building a workplace conducive to business success and employee personal development