Sr. Software Engineer, Software Services
Join a progressive development organization that is bringing innovation to the life insurance industry. If you enjoy exploring new technologies and are looking to participate in transformative software development, then we want to talk to you. This position is responsible for taking a senior role the analysis, design, implementation, testing and maintenance of high quality software components.
EDUCATION / SKILLS and EXPERIENCE:
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or the equivalent
Skills and Experience:
- 7+ years of proven development experience
- 5+ years of developing database applications for IBM z/OS mainframe.
- 5+ years developing DB2 Stored procedures on z/OS.
- Ability to analyze and write complex SQL queries.
- Hands on experience using IBM Job Control Language (JCL)
- Experience with queue technologies like MQSeries
- Experience with application servers such as WebSphere
- Experience with at least one modern programming language preferably Java
- Experience with build and deployment tools and techniques
- Experience with or desire to learn agile software development lifecycle.
- Experience with change management processes / tools.
- Experience with team collaboration tools.
- Capable of delivering on multiple competing priorities with little supervision.
- Proficiency developing and troubleshooting software systems.
- Clear communications (oral and written) and willing team player.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in process to elicit and specify project requirements and define project scope
- Assist in development of software application architecture
- Analyze, design, code, test, debug, maintain, and document software components in accordance with the company’s software architecture and software development processes
- Participate in application performance tuning
- Ensure developed applications adhere to the company’s security model / policies
- Lead code review of developed software artifacts
- Ensure that deliverables meet the project requirements, including timely delivery and quality (reliability, performance, and maintainability)
- Provide estimates related to effort, duration, and completion of assigned tasks
- Adhere to and expand/improve the company’s processes for change / configuration management
- Find innovative ways to improve quality and productivity
- Provide ongoing technical support for external / internal users of software components
- Participate in the research and evaluation of software development tools and emerging technologies
- Participate and effectively contributes in a team environment, in accordance with the company’s Core Values
- Communicate effectively with the company’s other technical units as well as business stakeholders to facilitate the development process to ensure the attainment of the company’s corporate goals
- Mentor / train less experienced software engineers
- Serve as technical lead within scope of expertise
- Participate in a skills growth path to promote achievement of corporate goals as recommended by the Department Management
- Comply with all applicable and departmental software policies, standards, and practices including all standards relating to Security and Disaster Recovery