“Temporarily remote due to COVID-19”
Are you a programmer who wants to make a difference and help improve human health? We are seeking a skilled engineer to be the technical lead for a team developing pipelines and processing infrastructure to create data resources for scientific communities.
We are a lively team of software engineers and data modelers committed to agile development practices, creating world-class, scalable cloud-based data repositories to drive scientific discovery.We are a core part of a world-renowned R&D organization, a deeply collaborative scientific institution that is transforming medicine and human health by building software solutions to process and analyze scientific data on an unprecedented scale. No medical, genomics, or scientific background is required, just an enthusiasm to improve the world of science and medicine, an ability to write exceptional software, and the ability to collaborate with scientists.
Our ideal candidate will:·
- Apply their existing data engineering expertise to build batch and streaming pipelines which collect, clean, and harmonize high-impact scientific datasets en route to the our data repository.
- Collaborate with data modelers and repository engineers to maximize the cross-compatibility of datasets while optimizing for storage in the cloud.
- Enjoy working in a collaborative, team-based setting and interacting with stakeholders at other institutions around the world.
- Work with Product and Project Management to scope and schedule new features and projects.
- Enjoy providing coaching and mentoring to team members.
- Want to learn new domains through our collaborations with a wider community of computational biologists and common disease geneticists.
- Enjoy solving complicated problems and understand good software development practices
Sound like you? If so, we’d like to talk to you to tell you more about the position and the scientific work we are doing.
What we offer:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- 7+ years of Software Development experience is preferred, though exceptional candidates with less will be considered.
- Experience as technical lead for a team.
- Experience delivering clear, maintainable, and well-tested software in a timely manner.
- Experience with or interest in working with a wide variety of technologies and on diverse problems.
- Experience working with users to develop and document requirements.
- Excellent communication skills.Any of the following is a plus:
- Familiarity with cloud environments (eg., GCP, AWS, etc.).
- Familiarity with big data processing technology (eg. Apache Beam, Apache Airflow, Google BigQuery).
- Familiarity with containers and Kubernetes.
- Familiarity with infrastructure-as-code (e.g. Terraform, Helm).
- Experience troubleshooting complex distributed systems.
- Experience with a statically-typed programming language (e.g. Java or Scala) and a dynamic language (e.g. Python).
- A fun, collaborative and mission-driven environment
- A welcoming and inclusive work culture
- Comprehensive benefits package: Vacation (including sick time), health/dental care, matching 401K, commuter benefits, child care etc…
- The chance to have a real impact on the advancement of science and medicine