Work remotely temporarily due to COVID-19
We are a startup (an Alphabet/Google company), that lives at the intersection of technology, data science, and healthcare. Our mission is to make the world’s health data useful so that people enjoy longer and healthier lives.
We are developing tools and devices to collect, organize, and activate health data, and creating interventions to prevent and manage disease.Here are some exciting projects you’ll work on:
The Data Biosphere
is a multi-institution initiative to move biomedical data analysis into the cloud, enabling researchers to find, share, and analyze data of all types and scales on cloud resources. It defines a platform where large studies and institutions can publish their data sets in a controlled manner and where researchers can apply tools ranging from desktop Java programs to massively parallel genomics pipelines.Terra
is a collaboration between our organization and the Broad Institute
to realize the Data Biosphere.
The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard is the world’s premier genomics research institution, with a long history of research software development. We and the Broad are developing Terra for a growing stable of customers, including the million-participant all of us project, one of the largest longitudinal studies ever undertaken.Terra’s services span data and compute management, tool enablement, identity and access control, workspaces for collaboration and publishing, cost tracking, biomedical search and data exploration, cross-study entity and data model definition, and more. The project is at a key technical inflection point, with fundamental changes to its architecture and implementation planned for the year ahead.
- Contribute to the definition of the Terra platform architecture.
- Lead design for major components and systems, balancing features and critical non-functional characteristics such as scalability, performance, maintainability, availability, deployability, etc.
- Develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve the Terra platform.
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables.
- Model and influence adoption of software engineering practices.
- At least 5 years experience as a software engineer in an industry setting.
- Expertise in building software and systems on AWS or Azure, including AWS or Azure concepts, tools, and APIs related to resource management, spend tracking, IAM, VPCs, region controls, etc.
- Leadership experience in system design.
- Demonstrated ability to apply problem-solving skills to complex issues.
- Experience building two or more of the following: platforms, Big Data infrastructure, distributed and parallel systems, cloud-native systems, collaboration software, information retrieval, networking, or security software.
- Experience delivering major systems/subsystems as a technical lead for a team of engineers.
- Demonstrated interest in and ability to learn other programming languages, frameworks, and third-party software as needed.
- Clear written communication, especially in design and architecture documents.
- Demonstrated expertise in the Java ecosystem.
- Experience with (or passion for) providing reliable and empowering infrastructure.