Sr Director of Engineering, Agile Leader
The candidate will have the ability to work with a team of highly skilled software engineers to succeed in a fast-paced, Agile environment.
The candidate will be an effective servant leader who is able to act as a catalyst for team success.
As an agile leader, the candidate will be inclusive, collaborative, flexible, and adaptive to ensure that the Scrum teams are empowered, productive, healthy, and operating in conformance with the principles of the company’s Agile/Scrum processes. The candidate will also possess the skills to fulfill traditional management responsibilities as well as the selected technical domain.
- Coaches engineering teams using Scrum methodologies
- Facilitates hiring world-class team members and assists in establishing highly productive Scrum teams
- Provides career development coaching
- Aligns with Product Owners on other Scrum teams to manage dependencies and ensure consistency and integrity of the complete system solution.
- Prioritizes all work for the team in the form of an ordered, frequently refined Scrum team backlog
- Maintains a balance of strategic planning with tactical activities and is the single point of contact for the team.
- Produces user stories and collaborates with team members to ensure accuracy and feasibility.
- Collaborates with the Scrum Master to run successful release planning and sprint planning sessions, as well as sprint demos and retrospectives.
- Maintains the functional quality of the work being delivered by setting and evaluating expectations and acceptance criteria. Also responsible for prioritizing defects for the team to work on.
- Works closely with product management on business epics and translate them into a meaningful team backlog
- Manages employee performance in the Agile model
- Strong knowledge and experience in agile development practices methodologies and tools, specifically, Scrum.
- Direct hands-on experience with writing user stories, refining product backlogs, and coordinating/prioritizing conflicting requirements in a fast-paced environment.
- Outstanding technical and non-technical communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to understand complex systems from technical descriptions
- Experience delivering software in a complex, distributed enterprise solution.
- Ability to thoroughly understand complex business and technical issues and influence decision-making at all levels of the organization without formal reporting structure authority.
- Knowledge of DevOps and AppSec products and methodologies
- Knowledge in at least one of the following areas of responsibility:
- Data Architecture
- Security Tools
- Personal Attributes
- Demonstrates creative, critical thinking, and troubleshooting skills.
- Possesses technical skills and knowledge required for the position
- Adheres to Scrum principles
- Thoroughly understands the PO role and its rigors
- Passionate about his/her work
- Strong sense of self-discipline: able to overcome difficulties, uncertainty, and temptations that conflict with the mission.
- Adaptable to change
- Customer-first mindset
- Emotional maturity – awareness of own biases and agenda, able to change focus in real-time, ability to see the broader perspective of time, systems, and own self-awareness
- Focuses on continuous improvement
- Uses process to get work done, but also understands the balance between too little and too much process.
- Pragmatic: able to analyze trade-offs and prioritize tasks in order to achieve goals;
- Aware of the big picture
- Fair, balanced, and impartial mindset
- Good at weighing risks/rewards/resources
- Understands load on the Scrum team and appropriately sizes each sprint
- High professional standards - Strong motivation for individual and organization success.
- Values quality
- Excellent collaborative skills; able to work with others and respect team opinions
- Team player
- Strong listening skills
- Respects individual roles; doesn’t do others’ jobs for them or micro-manage
- Encourages a culture of innovation focused on adding value, giving people space to think creatively
- Able to communicate at the appropriate level of detail with peers and management
- Credible and trustworthy
- 5+ years experience managing engineering teams
- Managing enterprise-level systems and products
- Managing Scrum (preferred) or other agile development methodologies
- Understanding technologies such as SaaS, micro-services, DevOps, application and infrastructure security.
- Understanding of AppSec