Focus of the Technical Operations Manager will be leadership of a team to provision and support our server and network infrastructure running 7x24 Learning and Homework applications.
Lead a team of systems engineers and database analysts in support of all aspects of operating environment, including – Linux systems, databases, storage, network, load balancers, firewalls, and security. Integrate and set the direction of effective operations processes for deployment, monitoring, alerting, and producing quality metrics. Manage relationships with agile application teams to understand infrastructure and integration requirements and recommend solutions. Set direction and oversee team activity towards fully automated provisioning, integration, deployment, and test.
- Manage and provide leadership for a team of 12 systems engineers, DBA’s, and DevOps staff.
- Oversee 7x24 technology infrastructure support operation.
- Manage relationships with key stakeholders in our applications and business teams.
- Oversee capital and operating budgets for technology operations.
- Manage relationships with third party partners and service providers.
Systems Engineering and Integration
- Review and provide input, including technical specifications and capital cost estimates for infrastructure required for new application projects.
- Work closely with system administrators to maximize infrastructure capacity and efficiency.
- Work with application teams to provide real-time performance and capacity information.
- Maintain discipline and schedule for infrastructure updates.
- Direct complex application integration problem solving in hosted environments, offering meaningful solutions and implementation strategies.
- Engage agile application teams with analysis from logs and data on the servers, and provide recommendations for problem resolution.
- Direct work on supporting systems, such as network, firewalls, load balancers, and storage
- Lead team efforts in systems configuration, implementation, management, and support of Java application platforms on Linux server platforms.
- Lead efforts to advance automation for application deployment, integration, and testing.
- Create and track metrics that illustrate the gains and savings of automation.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work history.
- 5+ years of professional, recent experience in the IT infrastructure or software product development industry.
- Two + years of leadership and people management experience in an information technology environment.
- Must possess experience designing, building, maintaining, migrating, tuning, administering, supporting, and problem solving in complex server environments, working collaboratively with applications, network and systems teams to resolve problems.
- Experience with application delivery, promoting releases of complex application/infrastructure configuration
- Solid understanding of current open stack web-enabling technologies including web enterprise servers on Linux, Apache, Tomcat, MySQL/Oracle database, scripting, clustering and other high-availability architectures, various web and administrative tools.
- Strong understanding of risk management techniques and ability to develop appropriate contingency plans
- Experience in working with and managing third party service providers in support of application technology platforms.
- Must have excellent written and oral communications, including technical documents, and process documents.
- This position demands a well-organized, action-oriented team player with the ability to prioritize daily work, change directions quickly, manage geographically dispersed cross-functional virtual teams and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, engaging peers and other departments to accomplish assigned goals and effectively execute projects in a cross-functional environment.
- Prior hands-on software development experience with an object-oriented language in an agile environment.
- Basic understanding of publishing concepts, such as content acquisition, content creation, editing, data conversion, and formatting.